WELCOME TO NFL BLITZ NEWS.. NFL NEWS FOR NFL PEOPLE

Friday, June 10, 2011

49ers' Crabtree offers lukewarm support of veteran QB Smith

As San Francisco 49ers players wrapped up Day 1 of their offensive minicamp under the guidance of Alex Smith, wide receiver Michael Crabtree offered less-than-firm support of the veteran quarterback, according to The Sacramento Bee.

Before Monday's workout, Crabtree was one of the few 49ers wideouts yet to work with Smith this offseason. Smith has thrown to Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn, Kevin Jurovich, Kyle Williams and rookie Ronald Johnson in previous workouts, per reports.

When Crabtree was asked by the newspaper if "throwing with the quarterback was beneficial toward improving chemistry," the wideout responded, "Who's the quarterback?"

When Smith's name was dropped, Crabtree said, "He's the quarterback? I'm just asking."

Pressed on his feelings for Smith, Crabtree continued: "Whoever the quarterback is, I'm gonna do my job. I'm going to do the best I can to get whatever he needs. You know what I'm saying? That's just how it's going to be. I'm not one-sided. I'm for whoever's the quarterback. It's just how I've been. Everybody knows that."

But does Crabtree think Smith will be the guy?

"I wish I could tell you that." Crabtree said. "I know that you're all scratching at it. I wish I could tell you who is going to be the quarterback. I don't know. I don't know. Whoever the quarterback is, I'm 100 percent down with it and I'm ready to go. That's it."

The team drafted Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft in April and Smith will be an unrestricted free agent once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached. Still, new 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's public and private comments about the quarterback have left the six-year veteran comfortable that he'll be in San Francisco next season.

"I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for the relationship there, to be honest with you," Smith told the Bay Area News Group last week. "For the feeling I got from Harbaugh, the offensive coaching staff, from every time I've been in there, from before the lockout, from when the lockout ended that day and a half. ... But I have such a good feeling. I feel they've been up front about everything they've told me."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me On Twitter