WELCOME TO NFL BLITZ NEWS.. NFL NEWS FOR NFL PEOPLE

Monday, September 7, 2009

Vikings sign quarterback John David Booty to practice squad

"John David Booty cleared waivers Sunday and was signed to the Vikings' practice squad, providing some clarity to a muddled quarterback mess.

Booty, a fifth-round draft pick last year, was complicating the team's decisions at quarterback, with Brett Favre, Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels on the roster. But Booty struggled this preseason, completing just 17 of 28 passes for 169 yards, with no touchdowns and an interception that was returned for a touchdown in Friday night's exhibition finale against the Dallas Cowboys.

His preseason passer rating was 62.9.

All the other NFL teams had a chance to take over his contract but ultimately passed.

Booty headlines the Vikings' practice squad, which also includes rookie running back Ian Johnson.

"It's not the ideal way of going about it, but it's the next step," Johnson said. "I took care of all the business I had to take care of, and if this is how it has to happen, I'm a fighter, I'll keep fighting until I get my spot. When I do get that spot, I'm going to make the most of it."

After not being claimed on waivers, Johnson said he received offers to sign with practice squads of other teams, including the Washington Redskins, which seemed like a good fit for him. But he decided to remain in Minnesota.

"I felt I had done all my work here; I made relationships here," Johnson said. "I've got myself in a good position. If I just keep working hard, I know something good will happen. Hopefully, sometime soon I'll be on that field at the Metrodome." "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me On Twitter