WELCOME TO NFL BLITZ NEWS.. NFL NEWS FOR NFL PEOPLE

Monday, July 20, 2009

Suggs Agrees To Six-year, $63M Deal

"Terrell Suggs will sign a six-year, $63 million contract with the Ravens on Wednesday, completing one of the more lucrative deals in NFL history.

A three-time Pro Bowl linebacker, Suggs will receive $33 million in bonuses (a $10.1 million signing bonus and a $23 million option bonus due in March), which ranks second only to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who earned $34 million in bonuses. Suggs' total is believed to be the most ever for a defensive player.

Suggs, who repeatedly said the sides were close on a deal, will sign the contract before Wednesday at 4 p.m., the deadline for NFL teams to sign their franchise tag players to a long-term deal.

"The Ravens showed up big for me, now I have to show up big for them again," Suggs told The Baltimore Sun.

Suggs added, "I'm only 26 years of age, and my best years are ahead of me. I can only get smarter as my years of experience pile up. I wasn't sure this deal was going to get done even though I kept saying it was close. I thought the chances were about 50-50, and I definitely didn't want to get franchised again."

The sides made significant progress 2 1/2 weeks ago, when the Ravens increased the guaranteed money, a league source said. An agreement was reached around midnight Wednesday in a three-way call with Suggs, his agent and general manager Ozzie Newsome.

The Ravens will pay their top pass rusher $38 million in guaranteed money and $40 million over the first two years of the deal.

"This is a good day for the Ravens franchise," general manager Ozzie Newsome said."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me On Twitter