WELCOME TO NFL BLITZ NEWS.. NFL NEWS FOR NFL PEOPLE

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Brett Favre Surgeon: " He Wants To Play For The Minnesota Vikings."

"Brett Favre "wants to play and he wants to play for the Minnesota Vikings," according to his orthopedic surgeon.

Favre, who'll be 40 in October, also "wants to end his career on a high note," Dr. James Andrews told Rick Cleveland, a columnist for the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger.

Andrews, 67, was in Jackson last week to speak to colleagues at Mississippi Sports Medicine. He's based in Birmingham, Ala.

Though most of Andrews' interview with Cleveland was about youth sports injuries, he briefly discussed Favre:

"I'm not supposed to say anything but Brett kind of let that cat out of the bag on that HBO show," Andrews said."

DAILY PLAYER UPDATE #9 07/05/2009


Bears- Johnny Knox
Fifth-round rookie Johnny Knox reportedly evoked memories of Bernard Berrian during Bears OTAs.
It's hard to like the comparison, as Knox is playing in the slot and Berrian is a pure outside receiver, but Knox's 4.3 speed does give him deep threat upside. Knox is battling Juaquin Iglesias and Rashied Davis for playing time.
Source: Chicago Tribune

Ravens-
Nashville police formally classified Steve McNair's shocking death Sunday as a homicide.
The death of 20-year-old girlfriend Sahel Kazemi has not been classified, however. An autopsy revealed that McNair suffered four gunshot wounds; two to his head and two to his chest. Kazemi's only wound was to her head. A semiautomatic pistol was recovered under her body, and Kazemi's condo showed no signs of forced entry. Police believe the two died early Saturday, well before the bodies were found. Authorities are still not looking for suspects. McNair is survived by his wife of 12 years and four sons.

Chiefs- Bernard Pollard
According to the K.C. Star, SS Bernard Pollard is at more risk of losing his starting job to newly acquired Mike Brown than is FS Jarrad Page.
The club would be better off if its young safeties kept their jobs, but Brown can play both safety spots and Pollard's tackling has been inconsistent over the last two years. Of course, you wouldn't know it by checking the box score.
Source: Kansas City Star

Ravens- Marshal Yanda
Ravens G/T Marshal Yanda (ACL, MCL, PCL surgeries) will begin training camp on the active/PUP list.
Yanda, who sat out all of OTA season, will be a candidate for regular season PUP as well. The Ravens may only be hoping for Yanda to fill a reserve role by midyear as he recovers from multiple extensive knee surgeries.
Source: Baltimore Sun

Colts- Pierre Garcon
The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi predicts that Pierre Garcon will "be the new Marvin Harrison in Indy."
We suspect Lombardi is projecting Garcon to fill Marvin's production void from last year (60/636/5), not emerge as a future Hall of Famer. Still, it's more evidence that Garcon has a handle on Indianapolis' third receiver job.
Source: National Football Post

Browns- Braylon Edwards
The Browns reportedly plan to use Braylon Edwards on more slant routes and quick throws to get him the ball more frequently.
Edwards' drop-filled 2008 can be partially blamed on never finding a rhythm because his weekly catch totals were so inconsistent. He caught four balls or more in back-to-back games three times all year. Edwards' strength is still as a deep threat, but he should dominate targets in Cleveland's new offense.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer


Twitter Fight! Shawn Merriman Vs Chad Ocho Cinco

Interesting bit of Twitter trash talk going on between Bengals receiver Chad Johnson (@OGOchoCinco) and Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) this afternoon. Naturally, it started with Johnson shooting his mouth off, all leading up to the video an angry Merriman posted on 12Seconds.tv, which you can see below…

Merriman’s account is verified, but Johnson’s isn’t. Is it the real Chad Johnson? Actually, either way, it’s kind of awesome…










VID 00062.3GP on 12seconds.tv

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Steve McNair Found Shot To Death

"Former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair and an unidentified woman were found shot to death today in downtown Nashville.
Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron confirmed that McNair and the woman were found at a condominium complex at Second Avenue South and Lea Street. He did not say when the shooting occurred or provide any other details.
McNair, a quarterback with the Oilers/Titans from 1995-2005, led the team to its only Super Bowl appearance in 2000. He also shared the league's MVP award with Peyton Manning in 2003.
"We are saddened and shocked to hear the news of Steve McNair's passing today," Titans owner Bud Adams said today in a statement. "He was one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans. He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family as they deal with his untimely passing."
He is second on the franchise career list for pass attempts (3,871), completions (2,305), yards (27,141) and third in touchdowns (156).
Dozens of shocked fans now starting to gather, expressing shock and disbelief.
One unidentified woman said, "First Micheal Jackson and now this."
Chad Daniels, who lives near the Second Avenue South condominium where the shooting took place, came stopped by to bring flowers and share his grief.
"I think all of Nashville is pretty heartbroken over this," he said, near tears. "He built the franchise. He built the Titans organization.""
Click here for full article

Friday, July 3, 2009

Daily Player Update #9 07/03/09



Redskins-
Colt Brennan
Backup Redskins QB Colt Brennan said that he's "going to play a ton" in the preseason as he battles with Todd Collins for the No. 2 job.
That may mean that the Redskins are trying to see if he can step on the field in 2009. After trying to acquire Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez in the offseason, it's clear starter Jason Campbell is on a short leash. Brennan put up huge numbers at Hawaii but has yet to take an NFL snap.
Source: The Monty Show on Sporting News Radio

Bears- Earl Bennett
According to Bears beat writer Brad Biggs, WR Earl Bennett is "being counted on for major production."
At this point the Bears seem comfortable going into the season with Bennett and Devin Hester as their top wideouts. Bennett played with Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt and performed well at spring workouts. Even though Bennett caught zero passes in his rookie season, he's going to have a chance to make a name for himself now.
Source: Chicago Sun Times

Bears- Zackary Bowman
Thanks in part to his 12 interceptions during OTAs, Bears CB Zackary Bowman has shot up the depth chart.
Bowman seems likely to make the team and will provide depth in case Charles Tillman or Nathan Vasher go down.
Source: Chicago Tribune

Bills- Eric Wood
Rookies Eric Wood and Andy Levitre are projected to be the Bills' starting guards this season.
The Bills offensive line is a mess as they won't have anyone playing the same position they played last year. Langston Walker is moving from right tackle to left tackle, replacing Jason Peters. Wood and Levitre rarely played guard in college. Take this for what it's worth when drafting Buffalo's skill players.
Source: espn.com

Patriots- Leigh Bodden
Chris Gasper of the Boston Globe thinks that Patriots CB Leigh Bodden "could have a Pro Bowl year."
Gasper says Bodden is the team's No. 1 corner and will start opposite Shawn Springs. Don't sleep on Bodden as an IDP candidate.
Source: Boston Globe

Packers- Nick Barnett
Packers LB Nick Barnett (ACL surgery) says he is 90 percent and expects to be limited at the start of training camp.
Barnett is making a quick recovery from the surgery and seems like he'll be ready for Week 1. Barnett also said that Brett Favre was a "huge distraction" last year and the situation hurt the team.
Source: Ross Tucker on Twitter

49ers- Shaun Hill
Beat writer Matt Maiocco doesn't expect the 49ers offense to have any serious issues with the transition from Mike Martz's system to Jimmy Raye's.
Raye, whose "meat and potatoes" system uses digit terminology similar to Martz's complex scheme, has already successfully installed his new offense. Maiocco notes that Shaun Hill and Alex Smith both looked better than he's ever seen them on the practice field.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Raiders- Louis Murphy
Coach Tom Cable singled out fourth-round WR Louis Murphy as the surprise of the Raiders rookie class.
"He has all the makings to be a very special football player at this level," said Cable. "We really think we found one." Don't expect much out of Murphy as a rookie, but the burner has a chance to climb a flimsy Raiders depth chart in the future.
Source: NFL.com

Falcons- Michael Vick
Commissioner Michael Huyghue says the UFL will give Michael Vick a chance to play as long as his legal issues are behind him.
Vick's rights belong to the Orlando franchise. If NFL Commissioner Goodell upholds his indefinite suspension for another year, Vick could opt to play his way into football shape in the new league.
Source: Associated Press

Patriots- Patrick Chung "Pat Chung"
Patriots second-round S Patrick Chung recently announced that he prefers to go by "Pat Chung."
Pat is the son of 1980s reggae singer Sophia George-Chung and half-Jamaican, half-Chinese record producer Ronald Chung. The former Oregon star is expected to be the Patriots' third safety this season.
Source: ESPN.com

Jets- Brett Favre
Brett Favre is reportedly close to purchasing a condominium in the Minneapolis area.
It's not a done deal, but Favre is believed to be "settling" on the condo in Edina. Profootballtalk's latest educated guess has the Favre signing being announced during the week of July 13-17, after the wedding of Brad Childress' daughter and before single-game tickets go on sale July 20.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Donte Stallworth Tested Positive For Marijuana

"Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth tested positive for marijuana use after the car he was driving struck and killed a pedestrian, law enforcement sources have told the Miami Herald.

Stallworth, 28, is serving a 30-day jail sentence as part of his penalty after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter on June 16. He was driving his Bentley when it struck and killed Mario Reyes, 59, on March 14 in Miami.

Prosecutors said Stallworth's blood alcohol level of .126 was well above the legal limit when he was tested after the accident. The Herald reported Wednesday that, according to the unidentified sources, the test results also showed traces of marijuana. The results have not yet been released.

"Evidence leaked or released over the coming days and weeks will reflect exculpatory statements and acts by Donte', the presence of marijuana in his blood, and it will highlight the critical issue of causation," read part of a statement released by Stallworth attorney David Cornwell of the sports law firm DNK Cornwell.

"Miami law enforcement personnel, the prosecution, the defense, and the court were fully aware of all of the evidence when the plea agreement was reached. We will continue to address these matters candidly and privately with the NFL."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell placed Stallworth on indefinite suspension from the league on June 18. Stallworth, a seven-year veteran, caught just 17 passes in 11 games during an injury-plagued 2008 season, his first with the Browns after signing with them as a free agent."

Roethlisberger does not have skin cancer

"Ben Roethlisberger does not have cancer, and neither does he have a Facebook page.

"There's no truth to it. I don't have any of that stuff," the Steelers quarterback proclaimed yesterday.

"That stuff" are accounts on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and any other social networking Web sites. Roethlisberger said he does not use them, including the one under his name that proclaimed he had skin cancer.

"I had a bunch of people ask me about it. Obviously it's not true," Roethlisberger said after yesterday's spring practice. "We had to go on our Web site to let them know I don't have an account. There's nothing going on."

Accounts proclaiming to belong to Roethlisberger were still listed yesterday on Facebook.com, MySpace.com and Twitter.com.

Roethlisberger said someone in the office of his agent, Ryan Tollner, has been working on removing such posts as this one that proclaimed he was sick:

I am sorry to all my friends cause I have not been on here in a while. As you may soon find out, I have been diagnosed with skin cancer. It is not too serious, but will need further (sic) attention. This has taken up most of my time. I will try to get on here more. I would appreciate your prayers!

Tollner posted this response on the Web site Bigbennews.com:

"Ben positively does not have Facebook or MySpace pages, nor a Twitter account! Any such postings are imposters and should be disregarded. We are actively working to end this problem with those companies."

Tollner could not be reached for comment.

Roethlisberger is among a growing list of athletes and celebrities who have been victimized by the growing popularity -- and apparent lack of security -- of the social networking sites. In the past week, Twitter accounts purportedly belonging to Philadelphia Eagles defensive players Assante Samuel and Trent Cole were exposed as fakes. On those sites, someone writing as Samuel predicted a Super Bowl for the Eagles, and "Cole" wrote about his new sack dance."

Follow Me On Twitter